Friday, September 25, 2009

Day 83

I finally got a morning to clean house and do laundry. It feels so good to have a clean house and there is nothing like a closet full of fresh smelling clothes. And.... I unpacked my suitcase from when I got back from Wichita 2 weeks ago. I know, I know, 'bout time.

Today has been a day to run erronds, too. Stuff that just hasn't got done. Bank, Gas Sation, Bank, Bank, Leslie's Bakery. Of course Leslie's. Their rum balls are amazing and the cheese danish, to die for. 

I was impressed when I came to the unit today. Nicole was sitting up in bed and her eyes are clear. That is a good sign. I can always tell when she feels better. And her sense of humor is back. Speech visited her today and they were able to get the speaking valve on for a while so Nicole was able to say some words. I am so glad we are making progress. Her life and mine is much better when I can actually hear her words. No misunderstandings.

Sam, the therapy dog, came for a visit today. He is a Golden Retriever. So sweet is he. He was eyeing  my lunch. I think if I had left him along for a second he might have eaten it. Nicole loves to have the therapy dogs come for a visit. She was able to extend her hand over the side of the bed and pat his head. I am sure she is looking forward to the day when she can get down from bed and really pet the therapy dogs.

Allen, a former patient, was on the unit today. It was so good for Nicole and I both to see how he has progressed. He was burned equal to Nicole. He was on unit for 96 days. We will be surpassing him by quite a lot but we have the same goal in mind......Going Home!

In therapy today, Nicole was able to stand again. She stood for 45 seconds. She will be building her staminia again in hopes that she will be taking steps again. Therapy said she did amazing today. It is hard everyday. I pray for it to get easier and for the pain to be lessened.

Everyday I am amazed at the blessings that come our way. From the nurses and the aids, to the church leaders over the hospital. I love to see the girls who keep Nicole's room tidy. They always have a smile for Nicole and myself. The snack lady is lovely too. Each person has blessed our lives. Smiles, hellos, how are you?, bringing me a drink, answering my questions for the hundreth time, making Nicole comfortable, Holding her hand when she is hurting or scared, encouraging her, their gentleness, the love they show her each and every day. All blessing sent to us. Thank you.

No comments: