Monday, August 31, 2009

Day 58

Nicole was in ventricular tachycardia last night. They have it under control right now but they are watching it very closely. They are pretty sure that it happened because her blood volume is so low. They are giving her blood almost everyday now. Nicole had an EKG last night and is having a Echo today. Hopefully the Echo will give us some insight as to what is going on more fully. She is also needing insulin.

It looks like Nicole will be back in surgery this week. Dr. Morris will do homographs (cadaver skin) on her legs and left arm while her back continues to heal. Hopefully in the next two weeks Nicole's back will be healed enough to gain donor skin to graph some of her legs.

MRSA is still plaguing Nicole. Her face is nearly healed and now it is on her trunk. The staff told us from the beginning that there would be many infections she would be dealing with. I know in my head what they are saying but the complexity of it all is not computing. Not that I don't
comprehend, just that sometimes it is overwhelming. I feel as though my head is swimming in a fish bowl at times. People are talking to me yet one more item of business will not fit into the filing cabinet in my brain. It is too full.

Picture this. A beautiful filing cabinet sitting in the corner of the room. A plant perched a top. It looks well kept and in order. You reach over to retrieve it contents. The drawer opens and chaos spews out. The files are not in alphabetical order. There are papers every which way, facing up and facing down. Forward, backward, folded in half. It is no wonder I am having trouble
retrieving things. I have to write everything down. I used to not be this way. I used to keep my filing cabinet in perfect order. I could reach in with my eyes closed and find EXACTLY what I needed. One day it will be that way again I hope.

The clinic in Kansas has kept me busy all day today. I thought I was going to be able to get more accomplished at home to get ready for our garage sale. Hopefully tonight I will be able to get things going.

No comments: