Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Gratitude

Gratitude is the first thing I thought of when I woke this morning.

Grateful for my husband, John. What an amazing guy he is. Most people have no clue. He would do anything for anyone. He is kind and generous, loving and giving, smart yet thoughtful. I could go on and on. I am so lucky to be married to him. There are not too many people who, if there spouse or child was sick and the doctors couldn't figure it, would go through school again to become a doctor so they could figure it out. He loves me so much he did that for me so he could figure out how to make me well. And along the way he has helped so many other people. And now they are the lucky recipients of his care.

Grateful for our son, Christian. Christian is equally amazing. He has grown into an awesome man. He has many qualities that his dad has. He would take the shirt off his back for someone. Many times the past 2 winters in Utah he has stopped and dug people out of snow drifts or pulled them out of ditches. Until this event with Nicole, Christian would come by our home after he got off work each night to check on Nicole. Most nights she was already in bed because he gets off so late. Most nights she didn't even know he was there.

Grateful to Nicole's ward in Utah. They are awesome. They have really been there for her and loved her despite things she is going through. They have shown her Christ like love and acceptance. Involved her in Relief Society and other things. Nicole loves kids as you may know. Some Sundays, it was reported to us, Nicole would sit by families that might need an extra set of hands during Sacrament meetings. I am sure she loved that.

Grateful to our families. Grateful for the visits, calls, words of encouragement, flowers (even though they cannot go on the unit), cards, stuffed animals, posters, letters and food. Angi's mom even pitted 18 pounds of cherries that Nicole had purchased the day before the fire. What love we feel from everyone.

Grateful to our extended families. We are grateful for all the prayers uttered on our behalf, temple names submissions, dinner invitations, sleep over invitations and visits.

Grateful to our Wichita ward. For all the emails and blog comments, for helping John go through things to get ready for our house to go on the market. (Yes we are selling our home, no John is not moving to Utah.) For the service that has been rendered to him, the prayers, the hugs, the listening ears. I really appreciate it because I am not there to help him through this.

Grateful to our friends in Utah, Kansas, Texas, California, Minnesota, New York, Florida, Missouri,Tennessee, Arizona. For caring, keeping our spirits up, knowing when to be there and when to back off. For the lunch invitations, the movie dates and listening ears.

I am grateful for Nicole for whom I owe the learning of many lessons. I may not be the person I am today if it were not for the lessons I learned being her Mother. I have been told I have the patience of Job. I don't know about that but my patience grows each day. My faith grows each day also. My faith in God, my faith is those around me, my faith in human find. I believe the greatest thing Nicole has taught me is to love for all people. She has really been an example to me.

You all ROCK! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

2 comments:

GStaples said...

You ROCK too!

Tamalee said...

and you are an example to me and everyone else. You and John are awesome!!!
Love you!