Saturday, November 14, 2009

Day 135

Today is my second day of doing Nicole's wound care. I did the whole thing, start to finish by myself. Not really as hard as I thought it would be. Actually, besides the fact that is takes 45 minutes to shower her and re-wrap her wounds, it wasn't bad at all. I suppose as I do it more I will become more proficient. Especially after she comes home. I am kinda of an efficiency freak. I don't like to take more steps than I need to. I like to streamline anything I can. I am sure this will be no different.

I love to be there to help care for Nicole. The process has actually added balm to my soul. From the beginning until now there has been so many changes. The first day John and I walked into the unit I wondered how we would ever bring her home. Now this is becoming a reality. Seeing Nicole the first time during wound care I couldn't imagine what lie ahead for us. Would there ever be a time when I could face this by myself? The time has come where it is a reality. The reality is Nicole will be coming home. She is alive and She is doing well.

What does God have in store for my Sweet Nicole?

I wonder that everyday. I wonder why her life has been fraught from the very beginning. I know she is not the only one who deal with many things in their lives. I just wonder why those challenges have been given to her (and to us). But the lessons learned are invaluable for all involved. I may not be so patient or willing to stand up to people who wrong others. I may have a different prospective of others who have disabilities. I certainly have learned to voice my opinion and not stand back and let things happen.

I have also learned that Nicole is very capable and shows a loving spirit to those around her. She is one to help others. She loves to serve. She looks out for the underdog. I would hope she would have those qualities even if she didn't have these experiences to draw on. Although experience give all people perspective.

Just a word about the snow today. I woke at 5:30 am and couldn't get back to sleep. I figured I might as well get up and start my day since I have so much to do. As I was deep cleaning the kitchen the sun started to wake up. Light began over the east mountains and I could see snow on the ground. It was beautiful. The sky was robins egg blue. Amazing. As I drove to the hospital I watched the cloud descend into the Salt Lake valley hanging low. Not long after entering the unit it started to snow. But it looked to me like the sun streaming in the window shining on the dust particles in the air. The fine snow whipping around in the wind.

Soon the snow turned to giant snowflakes. Fluffy and delicate drifting on the wind currents. Up and down in the air. Before long there was 2 inches of snow building up on the seal outside Nicole's window. As many who know me, I am not a fan of snow. I love it when I can stay inside and watch it from my cozy warm home, but today I have to say, "I LOVE THE SNOW."

I love the creation God made that allows such a beautiful scene. Incredible!

No comments: