Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 194

Today is Nicole's first surgery post ICU. Several things will be done. I pray for steady hands for the doctor as well as a clear mind so his knowledge will flow freely.

8am surgery starts. I was a little teary this time. I usually feel relieved when a surgery is impending. One more down. Today a little apprehensive. The surgery nurse explained this one will be about 5 hours. I suspected it would take long as there is so much to accomplish. She also told me she would come out at around 11 and let me know how things are going.

11am update. Nicole is doing well. She is almost done actually. Maybe one more hour.

Noon Dr Morris emerges from O.R. Everything went well.

He revised her trach area. opened part of it as well as took new, good, healthy tissue and added it to the area and closed 5 layers.

The area at Nicole's left axilla area was going to get a skin graph. Instead Dr. Morris did a flap along with a double Z-plasty in the front and a single on the back. That procedure consists of making small cuts in the scar tissue so the tissue will open up and move better.

The last areas were on her trunk. Scar tissue was released and there was actually a skin graph needed there which was taken from her leg.

On paper it doesn't look like much but in reality it was quite a bit of work. All things to make her life easier in the future. Now if she can get mobile soon we can leave soon. Dr Morris first thought she would stay in for 4-5 days. Now he is saying she might be in just 2 days. I guess only time will tell.

I am still amazed at the technology we have in this world today. God has blessed us. Even 20 years ago this event might have taken a different turn. It is amazing what devices have been invented as well as procedures for things like this. We are truly blessed.

What will tomorrow bring in your life? I hope it is one of happiness and joy. Smile just because you can. Laugh like your life depended on it. Love everyone.

2 comments:

* said...

My mother in law just had hip surgery last week, the 3rd surgery in the past year. She is doing well, thanks for technology and modern medicine.

Here's prayers for steady doctors' hands and a clear mind for your Nicole.

Valerie said...

Angi,
I followed you from Light Refreshments Served...
I just wanted to say I am so sorry about Nicole.
I hope and pray for continued recovery for her. May your family feel the tender mercies and love and blessings of our Heavenly Father as you travel this road of recovery.
My son was disabled in a car accident 3 years ago, so I know a little of what you are going through.
Love and hugs!
~Valerie