Monday, September 20, 2010

Idaho

I went to Idaho today with my mom to guide her through the maze of state agencies. Her brother is living alone in his home. It may not seem like a bad thing, he is only 73, but, he is an amputee as well and is full time in a wheel chair and has Parkinson's disease. He needs full time care but is too stubborn to accept it. Thank goodness he does allow someone to come in a couple of times a day to help him.

He doesn't always make the most logical decisions. So we have gone to Idaho to find some agencies that can render aid to him in various areas. Since working with many state agencies over the years I know my way around getting services from which place. It is a lot of leg work but so worth it in the end.

We looked at getting a circuit breaker for his taxes on his home. We also went to the state to see what medical services the could offer that they currently are not doing.

I even called the local bishop for the area which he lives. My uncle is not a member of our church and many people don't know that a bishop is responsible for ALL the people living within the boundaries of the ward, member and non member alike. He was wonderful, offering to come by each week and check on his welfare as well as getting the scouts to help with some yard and home things. I don't know if he feels the love but I sure do. I love knowing I belong to a church that is the same in KS as UT as ID. And around the world. There are people out there that care not only if you are of the same faith but care because you are their neighbor.

We didn't get as much accomplished as I wanted to, but we did get the ball rolling. I am so glad I can help him when he can't help himself. It is frustrating but I feel I have at least some knowledge to help the situation.

I know we will be revisiting this again in the not so distant future.

No comments: